Monday, April 20, 2009

Side-Tracked: Plastics Glue

ATTENTION!!!! For Bashers who wanted to repair KOs made of "chewy dog-toy" plastic, ie. "lousy" quality type (but I like them) as seen in the KO G1 Dreadwind and Darkwing (Blue/Purple & white) or those Chinese KO Kabaya kits (G1, LOC, etc)...

I am on course today near Ting Bahru Plaza today, so during lunch time decides to go there jalan jalan. Then in Self-fix (the shop selling DIY tools, etc), I saw this Plastics Glue, and decide to buy & try... Expensive, S$8.80... It says works even on Polyethylene (Polythene) and Polypropylene...
Tried on a small piece of the sprue of the Chinese Kabaya LOC Dirtboss... It works well for this type (which super glue cannot work...) , and should also be able to bond the "chewy dog toy" type of plastic that normal super glue cannot join. You need to apply the transparent primer on both sides to join (looks like it does some chemical reaction with the plastic as the plastic looks scratched and rougher...) wait for them to dry... and then apply the glue on 1 side of the plastic. Press the 2 pieces for a while, about 5 secs later it will start to cure.... takes long time to really complete cure and stay strong...
Now waiting for December to come and I will re-repair my "chewy dog-toy" plastic-made KO, as well as the Chinese Kabaya KOs! Sweet!

Edit #1: I cannot resist but tried out this glue to repair. First I test the glue to see if it an form a thin layer like the normal super glue for thickening purposes. It worked well on my "chewy dog-toy" G1 KO Dreadwind's fist-holes, which can now hold the guns snuggly. With the success, I proeed to repaired my Threadbolt (the micromaster small small one... yeap, a chinese Kabaya-style KO), success!!! Then, went on to repair the chinese Kabaya KO, G1 Blitzwing! Success too!!!!! Now his winged shoulders can stay in place and the small rear tail fins won't come out so easily!! Sweet...

Edit #2: Please refer to my earlier post in 2008 "Older KO Transformers Mods - Dreadwind & Darkwing " for some pics on how to make Darkwing's legs stay extended in bot mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment